Origin of Name: It is thought by many to be named after Bordeaux in France as it is said some of Mary Queen of Scots' ladies in waiting stayed near here but there is no evidence for this. There are many theories for the name such as: from the Scots word borde meaning a rim or bank or bordland which is Scots for a home farm supplying the laird's bord or table.
Southhouse is from Scots Southous which would be due to the estate's position in the south of Liberton.
Position: Midlothian to the south, Fairmilehead to the west, Gilmerton to the east and Liberton to the north. See map above.
Historical notes: Burdiehouse was a small village which shared many of its facilities with Straiton (Midlothian). Limestone was discovered here around 1760 and open cast mining was used initially. The industry was very successful until 1907 when the lime ran out and the mine closed. Many local people were employed at the lime kilns of which 3 survive and can still be seen eastwards across the dual carriageway. Pigeons would be taken by local men seeking new markets in Edinburgh and when an order was taken they would release the pigeon back to Burdiehouse with all the details. Part of the village was lost in 1967 due to a road improvement scheme but the west side remains. Burdiehouse Square was built in 1938 to house residents of Oakbank Cottages on Lang Loan Road when they were demolished. Janefield was named such by 1931 but was previously known as Five Houses probably due to the 5 cottages in the area. It was redeveloped in 1983 and lies some distance north of the old village. The Burdiehouse streets in neighbouring Southhouse are so called due to their proximity to Burdiehouse Road.
Southhouse dates back to at least 1509 and was an estate in the south of Liberton. There was a mansion house but this was in ruins by the late 1700s. Building of public housing began in 1930 and continued in 1947 and the early 1960s. It became run down but has recently benefited from large scale improvements, refurbishments and newly built homes – some for sale and some for rent.
Today: Burdiehouse is now little more than a street, a little isolated and with no local shopping or pubbing facilities but in attractive surroundings. It is beside the main road so has good transport links. Southhouse is residential with a few local shops. It is mainly low rise council, ex council or housing association housing. There are a few bungalows at the top of Southhouse Rd/Ave.
Did You Know: The Burdiehouse burn starts from the Lothian burn quarter of a mile south of Mortonhall. After Little France it becomes the Niddrie burn and is two and a half miles long.
The Burdiehouse burn valley park was set out in 2003 after locals contacted the South Edinburgh Partnership to help regenerate the park. The park itself stretches to Lasswade Road but there are other paths continuing beside the burn that will lead to Gilmerton Road.
Across the dual carriageway from Burdiehouse village you can see the 3 remaining lime kilns and Burdiehouse Mains Farm built around 1830. The kilns were listed by Historic Scotland as category B buildings in December 1970. In 2010 proposals were made to build housing around the farm area.