Origin of Name: Craigentinny is possibly Scots gaelic meaning the rock of the fox – Creag an t Sionnaich
Position: Restalrig to the west, sea to the east, Portobello& Northfield to the south and Leith to the north. See map above.
Historical Notes: In the early 1600s the lands of Craigentinny were sold to a James Nisbet by the Logan family, lairds of Restalrig, and it was James who built Craigentinny Castle in 1604. The Nisbets died out by 1764 and the Craigentinny estate was sold to William Millar, whose son also William, is buried in the mausoleum “Craigentinny Marbles” which was constructed in 1866 some 18 years after his death. It now lies on Craifentinny Crescent.
In the late1920s and 1930s there was large scale house building. In fact in 1925 only Sydney Terrace, Wakefield Avenue and Inchview Terrace had begun but by 1933 the street layout was complete including the Loganlea/Loaning council area. Around half the housing was also complete. Fillyside dairy stood just inside the entrance to the golf course and was in existence as late as 1955. The present nature reserve off Fillyside Road was once used for grazing cattle but that was before it was used as railway sidings. There was, also as late as 1955, a Fillyside House which lay just south of the present Seafield Cemetery. During WWII Craigentinny Castle was hit by German bombs which also blew up some housing in Loaning Crescent and Loaning Road causing some casualties.
Today: Craigentinny has some public housing but it consists mainly of private 1930s bungalows. There are some local shops at Craigentinny Road and also at the end of Craigentinny Avenue. The area also takes in part of Seafield which has little housing and consists mostly of industrial sites as well as a sewage works, crematorium and cat and dog home. Craigentinny golf course is to the north, established in 1891, and there is also Craigentinny allotments on Telferton Road. There is a long established bowling club at Craigentinny Crescent.
Did You Know: During WW II Craigentinny golf course was used for anti air craft battery and also an accommodation camp for soldiers.
Weblink talking about bombs in Loaning Road Craigentinny - http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/modern_scotland/39_45/family_archives/?emp1=1
Craigentinny Castle is now owned by Edinburgh Council and is used as a community education centre. In the old castle section is a youth club, offices, disco, training studio, art room and lounge. There is a modern wing built after WWII and this contains offices, a hall and general purpose rooms.
Craigentinny Farm lay between Vandeleur Avenue and Kekewich Avenue and still existed in 1933.