Origin of Name: There is uncertainty of the origin but in Scots Gaelic Curagh means wet or boggy plain. The Brythonic word Curi means a dell or hollow or Latin coria a camp
Position: Approx 7 miles from city centre in the south west Currie is surrounded by the Pentland Hills to the south, Juniper Green to the east, Balerno to the west and Gogar to the south. See map above.
Historical Notes: There is a record of a bronze age settlement in Currie and it was mentioned more than once in mediaeval documents. In the 1300s the area was used as hunting grounds by the nobility of Edinburgh castle and a community began around the site of what is now Currie Kirk. It is believed that a church existed in that area around 1000 years ago, however the present Kirk was built in 1784, supposedly on the foundations of the earlier church. The bridge across the Water of Leith (Currie Brig) dates back to the 14th century and unites the two parts of the village on either side.
In the 1600s most of the inhabitants were farmers but soon mills sprang up along the Water of Leith and this provided industry for the area. There were 3 farms in the main street – now Lanark Road West and two of the farmhouses still survive. The Riccarton Arms was, until 1874, Wester Currie farmhouse and Easter Currie farmhouse is now part of a housing development at Easter Currie Court. In the early 20th century, Currie saw more private housing built along the length of Lanark Road West and in the 1950s & 1960s large scale council housing was built to the west of Curriehill Road and private housing to the east. The village was promoted as a pleasant commuting suburb.
In 1975 the Midlothian village was absorbed into Edinburgh, a decision that was largely welcomed. As well as Currie itself, two hamlets grew up close by. Blinkbonny started in the late 19th century when housing was built for the workers of Blinkbonny farm, Kinleith mill and Torphin quarry. Hermiston grew as a centre for farming and brewing and was originally called Langherdmanstoun. It had strong associations with the Riccarton estate which itself was gifted as a wedding present by Robert the Bruce to his daughter in 1315.
Today: Currie is a suburb with a mix of different housing, mainly council or private housing with gardens. There are few flats. It is still regarded as a pleasant place to live and in the 2001 census there were 8550 people. There is a University - Heriot Watt - in picturesque Riccarton campus with many facilities as well as Currie High School(built 1960). There are some small shopping areas containing local shops and pubs and a library situated in the grounds of the old Curriehill primary school. As Currie lies at the foot of the Pentland hills there some fantastic walks and you can also walk along the banks of the Water of Leith which stretches from Balerno to Leith. There is a good bus service and also a train station at Curriehill.
Did you know: The first school built was in 1699 across the road from the old Curriehill primary school which was itself built in 1903 but was initially only the section in the front that houses the library.
In the days of road tolls, Currie's toll house was situated at the junction of Riccarton Mains Road and Lanark Road West opposite the post office. It was demolished in the 1960s when the road was widened.
The ruin you can see from Currie Brig is an old kiln which was in existence before 1500. Beside it used to be a thatched cottage (demolished in the 1940s) and a mill which was active until the end of the 18th century. This small area was known as Burnside.
The railway arrived in 1874 but was closed to passengers in 1943. Freight continued to use the line until the 1960s. The station was sited just to the south west of Currie Brig.
http://www.candbnews.com/ The local newspaper serving Currie, Balerno, Juniper Green & Colinton
http://www.currie-scc.gov.uk/ Currie Community Council