WHITEFOORD HOUSE – Canongate
Once the site of a mansion known as Lord Seton's Lodging where Henry, Lord Darnley, stayed in 1565 when he arrived in Edinburgh to marry Mary Queen of Scots. The current mansion was built in 1769 for Sir John Whitefoord and he died in the house in 1803. It then became home to Sir William Bannatyne, a noted judge, and he died in the house in 1833. Around 1850 the mansion was used as a foundry. In 1910 it became a home for veterans of war and is still used for that purpose today. In 1926 the first Lady Haig poppy factory was established and residents made poppies for sale to aid their fellow ex servicemen.