LADY STAIRS HOUSE – Lady Stairs Close
Built in 1622 for Sir William Gray, an Edinburgh merchant, it was originally called Lady Gray's House and Close. Lady Stair bought the house in 1719 after the death of her husband the 1st Earl of Stair. The house was bought in 1893 by the 5th Earl of Rosebery, a descendant of Lady Stair's husband and extensively altered. He presented the house to to the people of Edinburgh in 1907 and it is now a museum dedicated to Scott, Burns and Stevenson – The Writer's Museum.