OLD COATES HOUSE – BY ST MARY'S CATHEDRAL WEST END
One of the few remaining houses in the area that was taken over by the expanding New Town. It was built in 1615 by John Byers, an Edinburgh merchant, who purchased the land in 1610. Around 1704 the Heriot Trust acquired the site from William Walker who gave his name to William and Walker streets. His last surviving daughter, Mary, died in 1870 and bequeathed the estate to the Scottish Episcopal Church to build a Cathedral on the site. St Mary's Cathedral was built next door to the house, special provision being made for its preservation. It housed the Cathedral music school until 1995. It is now offices for charity Waverley Care.