Edinburgh Past And Present - The Edinburgh Website

Historic Houses North 2

Inverleith House-2010 (1)a

INVERLEITH HOUSE – INVERLEITH ROW BOTANIC GARDENS

The Rocheid family owned the Inverleith estate from 1665 and in 1774 James Rocheid had Inverleith House built. Fourteen acres of the estate were sold in 1820 to build a new Botanic Garden and the rest of the estate and house were purchased to enlarge the botanic Garden in 1876. The House was used as the regius keeper's residence. Between 1960 and 1984 the house became the site of the National Gallery of Modern Art until it moved to Belford Road. It now houses a “continuous programme of temporary exhibitions by invited artists”

Granton Caroline Park House-2010 (1)a

CAROLINE PARK – WATERFRONT AVENUE

Built in 1685 for George McKenzie who bought the Barony of Royston, the house was known until 1740 as Royston House. The south frontage of the house was added in 1696. The house was sold in 1739 to the 2nd Duke of Argyll who it is believed named it Caroline Park after his daughter. Until 1979 it had been owned and looked after by a printing and chemical company but today has been restored to residential use. Although it spent many years surrounded by gasworks (and still does to the west) it has a brand new shiny street to the east.

Muirhouse Craigroyston Ho-2010 (1)a

CRAIGROYSTON HOUSE-MARINE DRIVE

B listed and built around 1800. It was used as naval headquarters during the war then belonged to British Gas but is now privately owned.

Stockbridge Deanbank House-2010 (2)a

DEANBANK HOUSE-SAXE COBURG STREET

The house dates from the late 18th Century. It has three storeys and single storey wings, the back being easily seen from Deanbank Lane. There was, around 1814, a china manufacturers around the site in an area where tanning and milling were the main industries. The china manufacturing wasn't successful but some pieces produced are now held by the Royal Museum in Chambers Street. It is still in residential use.

DUNCAN'S LAND – GLOUCESTER STREET

Built in the late 1790s by a merchant called Duncan who built it with stones from demolished buildings in the Old Town when Bank Street was constructed. This is why there is an inscription above the main door dated 1605. There is also a plaque on the wall celebrating the fact that landscape painter David Roberts was born in the house in 1796. It was restored in 1974 by Robert Hurd & Partners and is currently a restaurant.

Stockbridge Duncan's Land-2010 (1)a
Stockbridge Glenogle House-2010 (1)a

GLENOGLE HOUSE – GlLENOGLE ROAD

This house was created in 1875 from a smaller building that was originally called Keif House and was built for the Haig family around 1780. When the Stockbridge Colonies were built starting in 1861 the house was extended and brought into line with the new street plan.

Stockbridge Malta House-2010a

MALTA HOUSE – MALTA TERRACE

Built in the late 18th Century but with Victorian alterations this house has had its grounds built on and reduced considerably. It is now used by the Church of Scotland as an alcohol and drug dependency unit but before 1977 was used as a children's home for many years.

Stockbridge Silvermills House-2010 (1)a

SILVERMILLS HOUSE – SILVERMILLS LANE

Silvermills was a village by the Water of Leith which had a mill for refining silver. The house was built in 1760 and was restored in the 1980s. The Scottish painter brothers Robert and James Lauder were born in the house in 1803 and 1813.

Leith Signal Tower-2010a

SIGNAL TOWER-THE SHORE

Built in 1686 by Robert Mylne it was originally a windmill. Its domed roof and sails were removed in 1805 and replaced with the current parapet. It operated for a time as a signal tower and has been a tavern with flats but is now a well known restaurant - Fishers.

Trinity Boswall House-2010a

BOSWALL HOUSE – BOSWALL ROAD

Both Boswall and nearby Wardieburn house were owned by Sir Donald Pollock, a rector (1939-1945) of Edinburgh University. He himself lived next door in Manor House. He set up Pollock Memorial Residences for missionaries in 1943 and bequethed both houses to the cause. The ornamental railings in front of the houses are said to come from the interior of a ship.