LAURISTON CASTLE – CRAMOND ROAD NORTH
The original castle was a tower which was built around 1590 by Sir Archibald Napier for his son also called Archibald. The Napier family also owned Merchiston Castle and Archibald's other son John was the inventor of Logarithms. In 1827 under the ownership of Thomas Allan, a banker and minerologist, the house was greatly altered and this is the house that can be seen today. The architect William Burn made many additions and alterations to the house although Sir Walter Scott believed Mr Burn would have rather pulled the house down. In 1845 WH Playfair added the gabled porches.
In 1902 the owner William Reid modernised the interior by installing bathrooms, electricity and central heating. Mr Reid owned a cabinet making business and had a great appreciation of art and fine furniture. He lived in the house with his wife and brother in law and wanted to leave the house to Scotland when the last of them died, provided it remained unchanged. Mrs Reid died in 1926 and the house was taken over by Edinburgh Council. Today it offers a view of life in Edwardian Britain – the grounds and house are open to the public.