Edinburgh Past And Present - The Edinburgh Website

Historic Houses South West

Colinton House-2010(3)a
Colinton Hailes House-2010 (1)a
Colinton Redford House-2010a
Craiglockhart House 2010 (1)a
Craiglockhart Old Craig House-2010 (2)a
Craiglockhart Redhall House 2010 (1)a
Balerno Malleny House-2010 (1)a
Fairmilehead-Morton House-2010 (2)a
Stenhouse Mansions-2010a

COLINTON HOUSE – COLINTON ROAD

In 1800 banker Sir William Forbes of Pitsligo bought this portion of the Colinton estate and had Colinton House built in 1806. It was designed by Thomas Harrison and adapted by architect Richard Crichton. When Sir William died, the house was bought by James Abercromby who became Lord Dunfermline in 1839. On his death in 1868 the house passed to his daughter and son in law Colonel J Trotter. In 1930 Merchiston Castle School moved to the estate and the old house is now the school's science block.

HAILES HOUSE - HAILES AVENUE

It started life around 1760 when it was built for Sir James Clerk of Penicuik. The roof and dormer windows were added in Edwardian times. It has served as an hotel and also a youth hostel in its time but it was sold to Apex hotels in 2009 to act as their corporate headquarters.

REDFORD HOUSE – REDFORD ROAD

Built in the late 1600s for Lord James Redford but with many later additions. In around 1884 masonry from the old Royal Infirmary on Infirmary St was used to build a stable block near the entrance. Known as the Drummond Scrolls the stable block has since been converted to a private house. The house was subdivided in 1951 to form 3 separate houses. For some photos of the house and gardens in 1933 please see Old Photos of Edinburgh under Edinburgh Past.

CRAIGLOCKHART HOUSE – CRAIGLOCKHART DELL ROAD

Built in 1823 for Dr Alexander Munro a noted medic. The house's grounds took in what is now Craiglockhart Dell, stretching down to the Water of Leith.There are two lodges - one is beside the Dell Inn on Slateford Road and the other just inside the BT area on Craiglockhart Avenue. The now empty BT building that can be seen from Slateford Road was built on the site of the House's stables and coach house. The first floor of the building is supposedly haunted – I can vouch for that! There were 22 rooms and Dr Munro lived with 3 sons, 2 daughters, their families, and a large household staff. It was eventually deserted by his family and some time after his death in 1859 the house and estate passed to his trustees. In 1867 a new city poorhouse was built on the grounds and most of the other land was sold for residential use.

OLD CRAIG HOUSE – CRAIGLOCKHART HILL

The land of Craig House estate was granted to a Hugh Douglas in 1526 by Newbattle Abbey. The Earl of Hertford set fire to the original Craig House in 1544 just before the English army set fire to most of Edinburgh. It was rebuilt in 1565 by Laurence Symsoune who used the one remaining piece of the old building – a vaulted ground floor room. In 1745 it had a north wing added. Its last private occupant was a John Hill Burton the historiographer Royal in Scotland. When he left in 1878 it was bought and adapted for use by Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum for higher class patients. Other buildings were built in the surrounding area including one called New Craig House. It closed in 1993 and was bought by Napier University in 1994. It is rumoured to be up for sale again in 2010.

REDHALL HOUSE – REDHALL HOUSE DRIVE

Built in 1758 for George Inglis who purchased the land in 1755. The house was built using red sandstone from 13th Century Redhall Tower, which once stood nearby, but this is now hidden behind harling. The house was extended around 1900 and a west wing and front porch added. The estate originally covered ground on both sides of the Water of Leith and the walled garden on the opposite side is now a horticultural centre. The doocot was restored by developers in 2008. The house was a childrens' home from 1944 until the 1970s. It was latterly used by the council to train staff but was sold to developers in 2008 and is currently in a neglected state surrounded by new housing. The lodge house has been renovated and stands at the entrance to the road

MALLENY HOUSE - OFF BAVELAW GREEN BALERNO

Built around 1635 probably by Sir James Murray of Kilbaberton, it incorporates the chimney and date stone of an earlier house dating to 1589. Improvements and additions were made in the early 1800s and the house and gardens were presented to the National Trust by the last owner Mrs Gore Browne-Henderson in 1968. Only the gardens are open to the public.

MORTON HOUSE-WINTON LOAN

Built by the Rigg family around 1702 but significantly altered in 1805 when it was turned back to front and had a Georgian frontage added which faces the 2 pavilions. Winton Loan was the original entrance to the house and was lined with beech trees. Thomas Rigg the deputy sheriff of Edinburgh laid out the garden including the bowling green and woodlands in 1713. The Trotters of Mortonhall purchased the house in the early 19th century to be used as the Dower House of their neighbouring estate

STENHOUSE MANSION – STENHOUSE MILL CRESCENT

Built in the mid 1500s by the Stanhope family, the mansion was extended to the south in 1623 by Edinburgh merchant Patrick Ellis whose initials and coat of arms appear over the front door. The house became a slum by the late 1800s when it was sub divided and let to labourers. In 1938 it was given to the National Trust for Scotland by the Greyhound Racing Trust and restoration work was carried out in 1938 and again in1962. The house now serves as a conservation centre for Historic Scotland. It has been known as Old Castle, Stenhopes Mills and Saughton Mills. Historic Scotland named it Stenhouse Mansion