SCIENNES HILL HOUSE - SCIENNES HOUSE PLACE
Built in 1741 for Robert Biggar, one of the people who lost a fortune in the Darien scheme. It is best known as the place where in the winter of 1786/7 Sir Walter Scott and Robert Burns had their only meeting. It was at the time when the house was owned by Adam Ferguson and he organised many literary dinners. This was once a free standing house and was partially demolished in 1868, turned back to front (the current street view was originally the back of the house) and surrounded by tenements. It was restored and turned into flats in 1989 and there is a plaque on the front to commemorate the only meeting of Scott and Burns.