Edinburgh Past And Present - The Edinburgh Website

Dalry Easter Dalry House-2012a

EASTER DALRY HOUSE - DISTILLERY LANE

Alexander Brand Jnr owned this part of Dalry in the early to mid 18th century and it was probably he who had the house built, possibly as the dower house of nearby Dalry House. Over the centuries the entrance to the house has been turned around. The house was recently owned by a financial consultant business but is currently up for sale.

Craigleith Ravelston House-2011 (1)a

RAVELSTON HOUSE – RAVELSTON DYKES ROAD

Built around 1790 for an Alexander Keith, Knight Marischal of Scotland. Sir Walter Scott was a regular visitor to the house. In the early 20th century part of the estate was sold off and in the early 1960s the Stewart-Clark family sold the remainder to the Edinburgh Merchant Company and in 1964 Mary Erskine school took over. The house is now home to the principal's study as well as several other departments. In the grounds is Ravelston Tower, part of old Ravelston House built in 1622 for Sir George Foulis.

Gogarbank House-2012 (1)a

GOGARBANK HOUSE - GOGAR STATION ROAD

Was built around 1775 and by 1791 it was the residence of a Cumberland Reid. His nephew added the bowed windows in the early 1800s. He also built the walled garden. In 1930, a James Risk sold the house and reduced estate to the army and today it is the residence of the General Officer Commanding Scotland.

RATHO HOUSE – RATHO PARK ROAD

A John Bonnar had the house built for himself in 1824. It stands on the site of an earlier house which existed sometime before 1713. It remained in residential use until 1927 when The New Century Golf Club relocated from Corstorphine Hill and took over Ratho House (or Ratho Park as it became known). The mansion house became the club house and it still exists as such today.

Ratho House and Grounds-2010 (4)a
Ingliston HouseB-2011a

INGLISTON HOUSE – OFF INGLISTON ROAD

A director of the Bank of Scotland, William Mitchel Innes, had the house built for himself in 1846 on the Ingliston estate he purchased in 1844. The original estate mansion house had fallen into disrepair and was uninhabitable .In the 1930s it was used as a golf club but since the 1960s it has been the headquarters of the Royal Highland & Agricultural Society of Scotland.