Origin of Name: Either from the British lein an or Gaelic leanain meaning a place at a haugh or swampy meadow.
Position: Clermiston to the west, Gogar to the south, Ingliston & South Queensferry(Dalmeny) to the west and Barnton to the north.
Historical Notes: The name is first recorded in 1169 and in 1384 was owned by Sir Henry Sinclair. By the late 1500s, the Youngs of Lennie built a mansion house on Lennie Hill but this was taken down when the family moved to King's Cramond in the late 1600s. The materials were sold to build Ingliston House. Lennie was divided into two estates – Nether and Over – until 1668 when united by Sir John Young. In 1698 the lands were bought by Edinburgh merchant Andrew Myrton who united Lennie with Gogar but by 1744 they were separated and Lennie was sold to Charles Hope Weir. The Hopes owned Craigiehall estate and Craigiehall House was built in 1699 for William Johnston. Although part of Dalmeny South Queensferry, the estate has had long connections with Lennie and is now used as army headquarters. Turnhouse Road, once known as Stirling Road, was named in 1968 as the main road leading to Turnhouse airport (not now the entrance to Edinburgh airport). Turnhouse Farm Road was named also in 1968 as the road to Turnhouse farm which in the early 1700s seems to have been a centre for weaving.
Today: Probably the least known and most sparsely populated area in Edinburgh. It is very rural with very few houses – probably around 20 but it is right beside the airport and has a busy cargo area and small industrial estate.
Did You Know: Turnhouse golf club was designed by James Braid, a Scottish golfer, and opened in 1897. It was originally called Lothian Golf Club but changed its name in 1909.
Turnhouse aerodrome began during WWI. It was changed to RAF Turnhouse in 1915 for the Royal Flying Corps and in the early days used grass runways.