Edinburgh Past And Present - The Edinburgh Website

Historic Houses South West Page 2

Colinton Bonaly TowerB-2010 (1)a

BONALY TOWER – Bonaly Road
Henry Cockburn a court of session Judge purchased an old farmhouse in 1811. He commissioned the famous architect William Playfair to design the tower in 1836 on the site of the farmhouse. It was altered in the 1860s when a western wing was added and a library wing added in 1888. It is now divided into 6 apartments.

Colinton Spylaw House-2010 (1)a

SPYLAW HOUSE- Spylaw Park
Originally built in 1650 this house was altered and given a new frontage in 1773. It was the home of tobacco merchant James Gillespie who lived in a mill behind, that was incorporated into the altered house. The grounds have been a public park for many years and the house has now been converted into flats after serving as scouting headquarters

Craiglockhart Castle-2010 (1)a

CRAIGLOCKHART CASTLE – Glenlockhart Road
The history of this ruin on Glenlockhart Road near Napier Craiglockhart campus is largely unknown. It was probably built in the 12th century and is associated with 2 families – the Kincaids and the Lockharts. There are only 2 storeys left but it would appear to have originally been 4 storeys high. It's use is uncertain but it may have been built as part of a chain of towers looking out for English invaders.

Currie Braeburn House-2010 (2)a

BRAEBURN HOUSE – Braeburn Drive
Originally called Burnbrae this B listed building by Edinburgh architect Robert Rowand Anderson was built in 1887 for the Bruce family who owned nearby Kinleith Mill. In 1946 the house was gifted to the Scottish Episcopal Church by a Mrs Burn-Murdoch so that it could be used as an eventide home. In 1965 the church moved the home to Blacket Place but kept the name Braeburn. The house was then turned into an hotel called The Glenburn which had a large function suite and used to have rock nights which attracted many bikers in the late 70s/early 80s.
In Dec 1992 planning permission was granted to allow the hotel to be converted into 4 flats and also 2 houses to be built at either side.

Fairmilehead-Comiston House-2010 (2)a

COMISTON HOUSE-Camus Avenue
Built for Lord Provost Sir James Forrest in 1815 this replaced an earlier house on the site built by Andrew Creich who left his and his wife's initials on a window dated 1610. Some fragments of this earlier house were incorporated into the new one. It was the Pentland Hills Hotel for many years before becoming derelict. In 1996 it was restored and turned into flats. It is a B listed building.

Fairmilehead-Mortonhall House-2010a

MORTONHALL HOUSE-Frogston Rd East
The estate of Mortonhall was given to Henry St Clair of Roslin by Robert the Bruce in 1317. John Trotter first baron of Mortonhall bought the estate in 1635. Thomas Trotter the 7th baron inherited the estate in 1763 and demolished the original fort like house complete with drawbridge 2 years later. The present house was built in 1769 and was altered in 1835 when a porch and service wing was added. It was used as an army camp during WWII then used by Edinburgh University as a Marxist experiment in communal living in 1949. In the 1950s and 1960s it was a nursing home but converted into flats in the 1980s. The Trotter family, they planted the T wood in Swanston in 1766, still own the estate

Craiglockhart waverly House B-2010a

WAVERLEY HOUSE – Perdrixknowe Colinton Road
Built in 1884 by Sir James Gowans for the Cameron family who were in the stationery business. It has been a B listed building since 1985 but around that time it was derelict. In 1991 it was restored and turned into sheltered accommodation for the elderly.

Slateford House-2010a

SLATEFORD HOUSE- Slateford Road
Grade B listed building built around 1770. It was extended eastwards in 1901 to incorporate the David Chalmers Memorial Hall next door. It has been used by a variety of different businesses over the last few years.

Baberton House-2010 (1)a

BABERTON HOUSE – Baberton
Originally known as Kilbaberton it was built in 1622 by Sir James Murray the king's architect. The original house was burned down in 1593 in a dispute with the Riccarton family. A new wing was added in 1765 to modernise and complete the original L plan design. In 1830 Charles X of France lived in the house for a short time after his abdication. Part of the grounds were leased for the creation of Baberton Golf Club in 1893. In 1979 the house was sold to Cruden Investments who still use the house as their headquarters. It is very difficult to see this house