Origin of Name: The name derives from the Scots Stock Brig which itself derives from the Anglian Stocc Brycg meaning a timber foot bridge
Position:Newtown to the south, Canonmills to the east, Craigleith and Dean to the west and Inverleith to the north. See map above.
Historical notes: Stockbridge as an area is not very old. Probably just over 200 years. The oldest part of modern Stockbridge is the village of Silvermills which dates back to at least the 16th century when silver from West Lothian was refined at mills here. There is little left of the village today but Silvermills House still stands. Prior to 1796 there were just a few mills and cottages and a wooden bridge over the Water of Leith which was limited to pedestrians limiting any expansion. But in that year the Stock Bridge was built. In 1813 the painter Sir Henry Raeburn developed his two estates namely Deanhaugh and St Bernards with architect James Milne. Raeburn designed Ann street, named after his wife, and it's now one of Edinburgh's most expensive streets. Throughout Victorian times, most of the Stockbridge we know today took shape. St Stephen's Church at the end of St Stephen Street was built in 1828 and designed by William Playfair, the Glenogle baths were opened in 1900 and the Stockbridge colonies in 1861, built by Co-op Building to provide low priced housing for working people. Since Stockbridge expanded, it has attracted many artistic people – artists, poets, singers and actors and still has that Bohemian vibe even today.
Today: A very desirable area with a mix of expensive flats and houses. There are many specialist shops, including antique shops in St Stephen Street, and a wide variety of bars and restaurants. The Water of Leith flows through providing pleasant walks
Did You Know: Edinburgh's most famous brothel was situated in genteel Danube Street from the end of WWII until the mid 1970s. It was run by Dora Noyce who formed a working relationship with local residents and police but she was charged over 40 times for living on immoral earnings and even had the odd jail sentence.
The Edinburgh Academy School in Henderson Row was built in 1824 with Sir Walter Scott a founding director. Its famous alumni include Robert Louis Stevenson and James Clark Maxwell. The Donaldson building was originally the primary school for Donaldson's Deaf School but was taken over by the Academy in 1977. This part of the school was used in the film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
St Bernard's Well on the bank of the Water of Leith was built in 1788 for Lord Gardenstone and designed by Alexander Nasmyth. It replaced a well house which covered a spring that was discovered around 1760. It was restored in 1888 and made a grade A listed building in 1970.
http://www.stockbridgeandinverleithcc.org.uk/ Community Council shared with Inverleith and Warriston